Welcome To AF Jones Stonemasons
Bringing Stone to Life
We deliver fine architectural stonemasonry – from design to realisation – for new builds, stone conservation, and interiors.
We are proud of our unrivalled reputation, built on over 160 years of experience. Our mission is to add value to all projects, whether it be a £ multi-million construction project, or a one-off item; we treat each with the same rigour and attention to detail.
We provide consultancy & project management through all stages of projects: At the design stage our knowledge & experience ensures informed decision making and good coordination. In the production stage, we combine traditional stonemasonry skills with modern cutting technology to make accurate, quality finished stone. Installations are assembled & fixed by our in-house masonry teams exercising the care and control required to achieve superior finished works.
In short, we are passionate about the natural elegance of stone architecture, and our part in delivering (or safeguarding) lasting value in our built heritage.
Our Project Types
Our work can categorised in three main sectors:
- Architectural Masonry (includes facades, porticos, cantilever stairs & external works)
- Conservation & Restoration Works
- Stone Interiors
The expertise, skills & approach needed for each of these sectors is distinct. To remain at the top of our game we nurture each with care. We invest in our staff and in the relevant machinery & equipment, to remain at the cutting edge & be competitive.
The Architectural Masonry sector is very broad, and can be split into different types of project including for following:
Please explore the links below for more information on these specialist sub-sectors.
In the Conservation and Restoration sector, we are trusted by the most prestigious of organisations to care for their Grade I/ II* / II historic buildings& facades. Work includes a variety of specialist areas such as indent repairs, stone cleaning, repair scheduling etc. Click on the link above for more detailed information.
Projects in the Stone Interiors sector include a variety of work types, including:
- Bespoke kitchens & bathrooms (both private and developer led projects)
- Fireplaces (mainly hand-made English Limestone) & Hearths
- Limestone flooring (either supply only, or supply & fix basis)
- Steps & Staircases (including cantilever staircases)
Working in natural stone is a specialist discipline of considerable diversity, complexity and interest. Some aspects of the discipline moves forwards over time – such as quarried materials available / or no longer available; new production techniques; machinery& finishes; commercial influences; site build techniques; Health & Safety considerations; and so on.
We have our finger on the pulse, so many clients, including architects &contractors, rely on A F Jones for their stone specialist input & consultation –for advice, design, specification and to navigate through the myriad of choices & options.
Please explore the Consultancy page for more information on the services we offer, such as: surveys; stone selection; design, templating & detailing inputs; scheduling & specification & building maintenance regimes.
Our well-equipped production workshops include over 8 computer-controlled (CNC) state-of-the-art cutting machines, with multi-axis cutting technology (3, 5 & 6-axis capability). Each component is detailed, templated &hand finished for accuracy and quality assurance. Alongside this, our hand-carving / finishing traditional banker masonry is exceptionally strong.
Therefore, we have the combination of skills to be adept, and commercially competitive, at any / all of the following:
- Architectural profiling (coping / architraves / cills / porticos / stairs etc)
- Geometrically complex works
- Large production runs (e.g. Projects of well over 100 tons finished goods)
- Traditional carving work
- Block AND Sheet Processing (Block: limestone / sandstone AND Sheet: Granite / Marble / Quartz / Slate)
- Letter cutting & engraving
Stone Installation Capability
We believe in maintaining in-house a strong, knowledgeable, fully trained and equipped team of specialist site installation (& conservation) masons (unlike some stonemasons where sub-contracting the fix stage is common). The benefits of our approach includes:
- Exemplary quality in the finished works
- Responsiveness (to project sequence requirements)
- Knowledgeable staff and service – from start to finish
- Controlling risk (e.g. programme & fit-up)
- Achieving best value / commercial proposition and service
- A fully ‘joined up’ team, with close feedback loops and quality assurance
Please do get in touch, no matter what type or size of enquiry, or to request a quotation of any type.